Monday, March 31, 2008

Pennsylvania















I wanted to share some pictures of Pennsylvania. We stayed right outside Lancaster and we drove around a lot, especially through the country sides. The farms are beautiful farm houses with their silo's and rolling hills. I have to say I would love to go back.

The highlight of the trip was when we were able to visit the girl's Mennonite pen pal. Holly's friend was visiting her sister near Lancaster. We were able to track her down and swing by for a visit. We had such a great visit with this sweet family,three hours to be exact! They have two precious children, a boy and a girl. They showed us around their place and made us feel so welcome. My husband took the man of the house for a ride in our car and brought back ice cream for everyone. The Mom and I had a wonderful visit. She took me to her basement where her canned goods were stored and we shared some girl talk. I did not make any pictures out of respect to them."Why do Old Order Amish not like having their pictures taken?"
"Old Order Amish and Mennonites forbid photography of their people, and their objection is based on the second commandment, Exodus 20:4: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth"."

I could have made pictures of everything but their faces but we decided not to. This was a very touching glimpse of a families simple but sincere way of life. The girl's were able to take a horse and buggy ride over to another farm to pick up milk. They really enjoyed this. We sang hymns together and shared a sweet time of fellowship that we as a family will never forget.

We went to the QVC outlet and in a few shops. We went to Wilbur's chocolate Museum and Hershey's Chocolate Factory.

Katie met up with her pen pal(friend)later in the week in Maryland.We ended our trip in southern Maryland. Wades dad now lives here so we had a good visit with him. I think we drove over one thousand miles but we enjoyed each one. We were making memories with our girl's. They had been to DC several times but they love to go back.
We will be going back to school in the morning. Were looking forward to getting back into our normal routine. I hope everyone is well and enjoying Spring. God Bless you all!
Hugs. Lisa

8 comments:

Tracy said...

What a fun trip! I'm from western PA, and have never been to Hershey or Lancaster.How wonderful for the girls to meet their pen pal! And what a wonderful welcome!

Mimi said...

I would love to visit Pennsylvania..I have read many books about the Amish in Lancaster county...
what an interesting vacation your family enjoyed...
Mimi

Kristi said...

I knew the Amish didn't take pictures of themselves but I didn't know the Mennonites felt that way. Why is that, by the way? Is it because of vanity?

~Kristi

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Lisa,
I enjoyed your post about the Amish. When my DH first started driving a truck, I went out with him and we had to go to Pittsburg, PA. That was the first time I had ever been to Pennsylvania. I did get to see a few of the buggies they drive around, but since we were in the big truck and were on a schedule, we couldn't do any sightseeing. I do admire the Amish for growing their own foods and living like people did back in the old days. Oh wow, I can't believe you went to the QVC Outlet. I watch QVC alot and used to order things from them. They do have some beautiful and nice things to sell. I have always wanted to go to the Hershey's Chocolate Factory as well. I'm so glad yall had a wonderful time together and making memories with the girls. I know they will always remember these times. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

HsKubes said...

Oh, what fun! I love all the photos! When we visit our family in MI, we love to stop by in OH to visit the Amish/Mennonite town. I love their simplicity/separation of living.
How nice that y'all got to visit for a while. ;o)

~ Christina

Dawn said...

I must get to Pennsylvania someday. We've been to DC in the fall, but would love to see it in spring as well.

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my flower beds in our crazy spring time. Come back any time!

Mississippi Songbird said...

Great pictures. I would love to go to Hershey park sometimes.. Have a great week.

Shelly said...

WE have family in PA. Near Clarion off of I-80. Never been to the chocolate factory. I thought they closed that place. Looks like you all had a great time. I lived in PA for 11 months but moved back to michigan. I really liked all the rolling hills with the farms too.