Friday, August 22, 2008

Pslam 3~




A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.
1. LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
2. Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
3. But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
4. I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
5. I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.
7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8 Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah. What

God did for David in the midst of trouble.You, O Lord, are a shield for me: Though many said there was no help for him in God, David knew that God was his shield. Others - even many others - couldn't’t shake David’s confidence in a God of love and help.



Under attack from a cunning and ruthless enemy, David needed a shield. He knew that God was his shield. This wasn’t a prayer asking God to fulfill this; this is a strong declaration of fact: You, O Lord, are a shield for me.



My glory and the One who lifts my head: God was more than David’s protection. He also was the one who put David on higher ground, lifting his head and showing him glory. There was nothing glorious or head-lifting in David’s circumstances, but there was in his God.



Men find glory in all sorts of things - fame, power, prestige, or possessions. David found his glory in the Lord. “Oh, my soul, hast thou made God thy glory? Others boast in their wealth, beauty, position, achievements: dost thou find in God what they find in these?” (Meyer)



I cried to the Lord with my voice: “Surely, silent prayers are heard. Yes, but good men often find that, even in secret, they pray better aloud than they do when they utter no vocal sound.” (Spurgeon)



He heard me from His holy hill: Others said that God wanted nothing to do with David but he could gloriously say, “He heard me.” Though Absalom took over Jerusalem and forced David out of the capitol David knew that it wasn’t Absalom enthroned on God’s holy hill. The Lord Himself still held that ground and would hear and help David from His holy hill.

I am so glad my Lord is my shield and the lifter of my head.The shield that helps me fight off the wiles of the devil. The lifter that keeps me looking toward my eternal home Heaven! I hope everyone has a great weekend. The clouds look like rain and I pray it does rain. We are extremely dry here in the upstate and the south in general. Thanks for coming by.

2 comments:

Theresa's Notes said...

That was a good post.

Nonnas News said...

Another wonderful post! I'm thankful too that God is my shield and lifter of my head.

We have enjoyed more rain today! So unusual here for August. Its usually very hot and dry.