Sunday, November 22, 2009

Giving Thanks~


Thanksgiving Prayer

Heavenly Father, on Thanksgiving Day
We bow our hearts to You and pray.
We give You thanks for all You've done
Especially for the gift of Jesus, Your Son.
For beauty in nature, Your glory we see
For joy and health, friends and family,
For daily provision, Your mercy and care
These are the blessings You graciously share.
So today we offer this response of praise
With a promise to follow You all of our days.

--Mary Fairchild


Time really flies. It seems like only yesterday that we were celebrating Thanksgiving. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday and gives thanks unto the Lord for all he gives you. The girl's and I will be cooking our traditional Thanksgiving dinner since we were out of town last year. We have shared many happy memories together cooking in the kitchen. Some of my fondest memories of my grandmother are times with her in the kitchen. I think her corn bread dressing was my favorite. I love the smell of sage. The smell of grated oranges makes me think of my Grandmothers orange fruit cake. I am blessed to be able to prepare her recipes and pass them to my girl's. God gave us the power to smell the sweet memories of sage and oranges to fill our hearts with loving memories instead of loneliness for loved ones that have passed away. We should give thanks everyday for everything we have not just at Thanksgiving. It seems Thanksgiving is the over looked holiday. Why can't we forget Halloween? I think our target store has had Christmas decorations in the back of their store for several weeks. I just cannot listen to the Christmas music yet. It is too early. Since I have been married for twenty years we usually decorate for Christmas on Thanksgiving Day while we cook and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Enjoy your time together and make traditions with your children. Have a special recipe that has passed down from generations or one of your recipes you have made and save it just for the holidays. It makes it taste so much better if you only eat it once or twice a year. I blend our Thanksgiving menu with Grandma's recipes and some of my own recipes. I am having smaller servings and planning to walk more. I don’t think depriving ourselves of good food during the holidays in moderation is good for us. Enjoy it and give the leftovers away lol. Sample the tastes of Thanksgiving past by making your Grandmas recipes. Smell the aromas of love all through your house. I hope your Thanksgiving is full of many happy moments and lots of good food. I am thankful for a God who died for my sins and for love of family and friends. Have a Blessed holiday and thanks for coming by.

Psalm 100 - A Psalm of Thanksgiving.


Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

Serve the LORD with gladness:
come before his presence with singing.

Know ye that the LORD he is God:
it is he that hath made us,
and not we ourselves; we are his people,
and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving,
and into his courts with praise:
be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting;
and his truth endureth to all generations.

3 comments:

Mississippi Songbird said...

These are lovely. Thanks for sharing. I hope that you and your family had a good Thanksgiving.. See you on facebook too.... Bunches of hugs...

nannykim said...

oH, you are playing one of my favorite songs here--Just give me Jesus!! Have a great day.

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Hello Lisa!
Just wanted to stop by and thank you for thinking of me and commenting at the Cabin! It was so good to hear from you! You must be busy with life-as I see you are not blogging. It is hard for me to find the extra time to blog like I like to too. We are in the thick of organizing and preparing to open a new antique shop in the Spring. There is so much involved! My husband also teaches a class call "Structuring Your life for Biblical Change" at our church--(you can hear him here-http://thefirstbaptistchurchofsalamanca.org/site/audiodownloads.asp?sec_id=140000306-if you wish sometime.) And I teach Sunday School and Childrens Church--Which keeps our lives full!
I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to blog myself. It's so enjoyable to be able to be a part of the blogging world and I'll miss all my blogging friends if I have to stop for awhile again-but living our lives is understandable and important for all of us.
Hope all is well with you and your family!
With from the Cabin,
Claudia O.