Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Little Perspective~




A College student wrote a startling letter to her parents:


Dear Mom and Dad,

I have so much to tell you. Because of the fire in my room set by rioting students. I suffered lung damage and had to go to the hospital. While there I fell in love with an orderly. Then I got arrested for my part in the riots. Anyway, I'm dropping out of school, getting married, and moving to Alaska.
Your loving daughter

PS: None of this really happened but I did flunk a chemistry class and I wanted to keep it in perspective.


We might question this student's method of breaking bad news to her parents, but her approach highlights a truth: Proper prospective is essential.

When Paul encouraged the church in Corinth, he wrote a litany of his own very real trials and tribulations. To gain perspective, he shifted his focus to the eternal. " Our light affliction," he said, "is working for us as a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory'

(2 Corinthians 4:17) ~ For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

In some ways, our perspective is more important than our experiences. Paul continued,"The things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal"

(2 Corinthians 4:18)~ While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Our sufferings will diminish in importance when compared to the glory that awaits us.

He promised no immunity from chance.
In stead a cross with adverse circumstance.
Yet we may toil with joy in all we do,
for life is brief-eternity's in view -Gustafson.


The supreme need in every hour of difficulty is a vision of God. G.C. Morgan


I wanted to share my devotions today. I love to read the book Corinthians. I think it is very important as Christian's to keep our thoughts and perspectives on things which are not seen and keep our minds focused on unseen things. I and so grateful for that unseen hand that guides me day by day.I'm really looking forward to meeting my Lord and Saviour. I hope and pray you have that assurance.

We are counting down the days until school is out, our community pool opened at the first of May. The Girl's have gotten in a couple of times but the water is still chilly. I don't swim but they take after their father and swim like fish. I do enjoy exercising in the water though. Holly is studying for the ACT also she will be taking it in early June. She is taking it early but that is in her favor. I have always given their tests at home and sent them in for scoring so this will be her first time testing away from home, so pray she will not get nervous. It is hard to believe she is a rising senior and Katie will be a sophomore. The time just slips away so fast. The girl's bought these homemade bonnets from their Mennonite friends and I thought they looked so cute on them. We have watched all the episodes of Little house over and over again but these pictures remind me of the young girl's on that show. I also have a special unspoken prayer request that God knows all about. I appreciate your visits, comments prayers.





7 comments:

Shelly said...

Lisa, Hello!
I will pray about your unspoken request. Also, the bonnets are neat and it reminded me of Little House too.

Yes, we do need to keep life and things in perspective.

Hope Holly does well on the ACT. Thanks for the comment about my fire pit.

Theresa's Notes said...

Very good post and I love the pictures of your daughters.

Tammy said...

What a wonderful post! Sometimes we all need to put things into proper perspective!

Your girls look beautiful in their bonnets...and funny I should come across this tonight since my girls will be wearing theirs tomorrow during our home school field trip to pioneer place.

It's so true...it is going by so very fast!

Blessings!
~Tammy

Mississippi Songbird said...

Beautiful girls!

And you are in my prayers...

Gena said...

I will keep you in my prayers.

Those bonnets are so sweet on your girls - they really make their eyes stand out. I always loved for my girls (big and little!) to wear bonnets.

Nonnas News said...

The pictures of your girls are beautiful!! And a wonderful post!

TO BECOME said...

Beautiful girls, great devotional. So glad I stopped by. connie from Texas